Cargo shipping from Vietnam: procedures and cost
Viet Nam has experienced sustained and rapid economic growth over the last decade, which has mainly been driven by widespread growth in the processing and manufacturing sectors. This growth is due to Vietnam’s hard work and the government’s willingness to address investor concerns. And one of the concerns of foreign investors is about logistics and supply chain management in Vietnam. Especially, How they can ship their products from Vietnam to all over the world ? What is Vietnam customs procedures ? And how much is normal cost for logistics in Vietnam ?
Documents Needed To Ship From Vietnam
Cargo exported from Vietnam are subject to relevant customs clearance standards. For easy understanding, Vietnam customs request for docs to show the quality, specifications, quantity and volume of the goods. There are some docs as must request as below:
1. Bill Of Lading (BOL)
The Bill of lading must provide some details:
– Names and addresses of exporter and importer
– Purchase orders or special reference numbers: this is necessary for pickup or accepted at delivery
– Special instructions
– Date on board
– Description of items
– Packaging type
– Department of Transportation hazardous material designation
2. Commercial Invoice
Commercial invoice must contain some informations:
– Seller: Name and address of exporter
– Sold to: The name and address of importer
– Ship to: The name and address of final consignee
– Invoice number: Invoice number assigned by the exporter
– Terms of sale: Incoterms
– Terms of payment: bank transfer, Letter of Credit,….
– Currency of settlement: Currency agreed upon between seller and buyer as payment
– Quantity: the number of goods for each description line
– Description: Provide full description of items shipped
– Unit of measurement: net weight and total gross weight per description line
– Unit price: unit price of the merchandise per unit of measure
– Total price: Calculate the extended value of the line
– Total commercial value: Total value of the invoice
3. Packing List
On packing list, there are some information needed:
– Details of the person sending the shipment
– Details of the person/organization receiving the shipment
– Invoice Number
– Date of shipment
– Order number and order date
– Country/place of shipment
– Country/place to which the shipment is being sent
– Terms of delivery
– Terms of payment
– Number of packages
– Nature of the packages
– Details of the goods packed like weight, value etc
– Signature and seal of the authorized personnel
Cost of shipping from Vietnam
For cargo export from Vietnam, there are 2 main kinds of transportation: sea freight and air freight. The freight will depend on the volume, how goods is packed and what destination is.
Main ports in Vietnam
1. Haiphong seaport (VNHPH)
Hai Phong port is the port with the largest throughput of goods in the North of Vietnam, has a modern equipment system and an adequate and safe infrastructure, suitable for the mode of transport and international trade.
2. Cat Lai seaport (VNHCM)
Cat Lai Port is always the number one choice of customers in freight forwarding in the Southern provinces of Vietnam. This port provides Cargo handling services, Logistics services, maritime services, rescue, rescue, pilotage, real estate, office buildings, civil engineering
3. Danang seaport (VNDAD)
Located in Da Nang Bay with an area of 100 km2 and convenient transportation system, Da Nang Port is now an important stage in the logistics service chain of Central Vietnam. Da Nang port was also selected as the final point of the East-West economic corridor, connecting four countries Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, as the main gateway to the East Sea for the entire region.
4. Cai Mep seaport (VNCMT)
Cai Mep port is a very convenient transshipment point for goods traded between Vietnam and countries around the world, especially the main import-export markets of Vietnam, the Americas, Europe and Asia … has a negative depth of 14 meters; the harbor area is negative 16.8 meters; The ship’s rotation area is 600 meters wide, very suitable for serving super ships up to 160,000 DWT (equivalent to 14,000 Teus).
5. Noi Bai airport (VNHAN)
Noi Bai International Airport (IATA: HAN, ICAO: VVNB) is the largest international airport in Northern Vietnam, serving the capital of Hanoi and surrounding areas.
6. Tan Son Nhat airport (VNSGN)
Tan Son Nhat International Airport (VNSGN) is the largest international airport in Vietnam. Tan Son Nhat International Airport with an area of 850ha ranks first in terms of area and capacity of the terminal and is also the airport with the largest number of passengers in Vietnam.